Recycled plastic decking is a type of plastic decking that is made from recycled plastic materials. This type of decking is made from plastic that has been recycled from products such as bottles, cans, and other types of plastic waste. recycle plastic decking is generally more durable than traditional wood decks and can be resistant to moisture and weather damage.
Types of recycled plastic decking
There are many types of recycle plastic decking, and each has its own advantages.
Fiberglass-reinforced plastic (FRP) is the most common type of recycle plastic decking. FRP is made from two types of plastic: polyester and glass fibers. The polyester is melted and injected into small holes in the glass fibers, then the two are bonded together. This type of recycle plastic decking is strong, stiff, and resistant to weathering. It also has a high melting point, so it can be molded into any shape.
Polypropylene is another type of recycle plastic decking that’s made from two types of plastic: propylene and thermoset resin. The propylene is melted and injected into small holes in the thermoset resin, then the two are bonded together. This type of recycle plastic decking is less strong than FRP, but it’s less stiff, so it’s easier to work with. It also has a lower melting point, so it can be formed into smaller pieces. EPDM rubber is a type of recycled plastic that’s used in flooring, roofing, and water repellent coatings.
Benefits of recycled plastic decking
There are many benefits to recycle plastic decking.
First and foremost, recycle plastic decking is a sustainable product. It helps reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and helps create jobs in the recycling industry. Recycle plastic decking is also a more eco-friendly option than traditional wood decking, as it doesn’t require the use of harmful chemicals.
Another benefit of recycle plastic decking is its durability. Unlike traditional wood decking, which can be damaged by weather conditions, recycle plastic decking is resistant to moisture and decay. This makes it a great choice for areas that see a lot of foot traffic or exposure to the elements.
Last but not least, recycle plastic decking is affordable. Compared to traditional wood decking, recycle plastic decking is much cheaper to purchase and install. Plus, it’s easy to maintain and requires little care once installed.
How is recycled plastic decking made?
When recycle plastic decking is made, the plastic is first chopped into small pieces. These pieces are then heated until they melt and form a liquid. This liquid is poured into a mold and allowed to cool. The cooled plastic piece is then cut to the desired shape and dried.
How to choose recycled plastic decking
Your choice of recycle plastic decking is important, because not all plastics are the same. Here’s how to choose recycle plastic decking that’s safe for your home and the environment.
Installation of recycled plastic decking
If you’re looking for a green and sustainable addition to your home, recycle plastic decking may be the perfect choice. Not only is it environmentally friendly, but recycle plastic decking is also stronger and more durable than traditional wood decks. Here’s a guide on how to install recycle plastic decking:
1. Measure the area where you want to install your recycle plastic decking. Make sure to allow for adequate drainage and access to electrical outlets and railings.
2. If you’re using reclaimed or recycled plastic, make sure to check with your local recycling center first to see if they have any leftover pieces that are suitable for use in decking. Otherwise, you can purchase pre-cut recycle plastic decking sheets from online retailers or hardware stores.
3. Prepare the surface of your chosen installation site by spraying down with a garden hose if necessary. Then, spread out the pre-cut recycle plastic decking sheets in the desired shape and size. overlap seams if necessary, then use a trowel or shovel to compress the sheet together firmly.
4. Drive screws into the edges of the sheet near the ground using a drill and screwdriver combo, then attach the railing brackets or posts if desired.
Pros and Cons of recycled plastic decking
There are many pros and cons to recycle plastic decking, depending on your needs and preferences.
Pros of recycle plastic decking:
1. Recycle plastic decking is environmentally friendly – using recycled material reduces the amount of waste going to landfills, which is good for the environment.
2. Recycle plastic decking is cheaper than traditional wood decking – this is because it is made from recycled materials, which means less manufacturing costs.
3. Recycle plastic decking retains its strength and durability better than traditional wood decking – this is because it is made from strong, durable materials that have been recycled multiple times.
4. Recycle plastic decking looks better than traditional wood decking – because it is made from recycled materials, recycle plastic decking often has a more contemporary look than wood decking.
5. Recycle plastic decking is resistant to rotting and decay – this is due to the fact that recycled plastic is made from durable materials that have been reused multiple times.
What are some potential drawbacks of recycled plastic decking?
Some potential drawbacks of recycle plastic decking include the potential for it to be unstable, limited in color selection, and not weatherproof. Additionally, recycled plastic may contain harmful chemicals that could potentially leach into the ground or water supply.
If you’re looking to add some extra pizzazz and personality to your outdoor space, consider using recycle plastic decking. It’s a great way to cut down on waste, sport a stylish look, and protect your property from weather damage. Plus, recycle plastic decking is durable and easy to install. Give it a try the next time you’re looking for an affordable and sustainable solution for your outdoor needs.